Monday, May 14, 2012

The Best Sandwich in Town





                                                                                                  I have had many sandwiches in my time. Some have been good, some have been average, and some have been very bad. But the one sandwich, which has consistently been upto mark, hands down, is the submarine offered by Dinemore. Seriously. This sandwich is the sandwich of all sandwiches, and I'll tell you why. 

Imagine a lovely, thick curried prawn. slightly overcooked, to be sure, but in this particular case, I never quibble about that. Absolutely hits the big Sri Lankan curry spot bang on. Then doused with a creamy maiyonnaisse-y sauce. I say this with responsibility. Its creamy, with less of the tartness of mayonnaise. Its cheesy. Its melt-in-your mouth goodness. I suspect its made in the house (and I bet its a secret recipe). Its stuffed with rings of sweated onions. Then the slices of cheese. All encased between two, slightly sweet, ever so slightly crusty, baguette shaped (but definitely not a baguette) bun. With toasted sesame seeds on top. And crunchy french fries on the side. I loved it when I was fifteen, and I love it now - lets just say more than a decade - later. 

The picture doesn't do it justice. This is my go-to comfort food in Colombo. I missed it in New York. I missed it in Phnom Penh. This is one of the reasons why I decided I need to live in Colombo. The Dinemore Shrimp Submarine, take a bow. I have since then tried many other submarines in Colombo, and there is nothing -yet- to beat this sub. I just hope that it will stay the same, and not get smaller, or cheesier, or shrimp-ier, with time. 

I first visited Dinemore when its only location was in Kollupitiya, with the beautiful yellow walls, and limited seating. It has since expanded to other locations as well, but the Kollupitiya location holds nostalgic memories of when I first met that shrimp sub. The stuff that memories are made of *sniff*.

Dinemore offers other food too, but I can't comment on them. I have never moved beyond the shrimp submarine. Possibly I have gone as far as the chicken submarine, which I have if they are out of shrimp. If.

NB. Dinemore did not pay me with a truckload of shrimp submarines for writing this (I wish). As is my policy, if I like it, I write about it. If I don't, I won't. 'Til next time, happy eating! 




No comments:

Post a Comment